Imperial Harvest Character Design Contest!
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE CHARACTER CONTEST ARE CLOSED. VOTING WILL BEGIN MONDAY, MARCH 23rd. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED
Inspired by our amazing backers (thanks Tyrel and Caleb), we’re pleased to announce a Design Your Own Character Contest!! The winner will have the chance to immortalize his/her created character by having it included in every copy of Imperial Harvest! Here are the details:
- 1) Design a character with basic and advanced sides.
- 2) Submit your creation by March 21st. (Submissions are now closed)
- 3) Receive personalized suggestions about your design from creators Justin Call and Jarom Chung. All final submissions will be posted on www.broomstickmonkey.com.
- 4) After culling the submissions, the BMG team will feature the finalists in a campaign update on March 23rd.
- 5) Imperial Harvest backers will vote on the various designs between March 23rd and March 31st (polls close on March 31st).
- 6) Winner will be chosen on April 1st. Everyone receives the winning character with each copy of the game!
*Limit 5 entries per person.
**Please Note: By submitting character concepts and designs, you are acknowledging that Broomstick Monkey Games may have already developed similar characters for its future games, including characters for Imperial Harvest, 8 Kingdoms, and Royal Strawberries. A submission does not constitute originality and may be used whole or in part in future Broomstick Monkey Games.
1) Pick your archetype: the character must follow one of the 8 archetypes below and must include their specific character element.
- a) Rogue: must be able to move diagonally; often has a unique kind of buff/debuff for ally/enemy team
- b) Mage: has a line-of-sight ability; may or may not be ranged
- c) Warrior: must be able to attack
- d) Defense: must be able to protect characters (might be themselves)
- e) Utility: interacts with items, objects, and characters in unique ways (moving characters, dropping tokens, etc)
- f) Aethereal: may pass over/through hedges and walls
- g) Dragon: has a breath ability (which is unobstructed by hedges); unique interactions with neutral monsters
- h) Royal: earns extra VP for team through a tertiary objective
All characters have a primary archetype, but most have a secondary archetype, too. The Barbarian, for example, is a Warrior whose secondary archetype is Utility (because he can drop "chopped hedge" tokens), though a more succinct term would be "Warrior/Utility." Likewise, the Imperial Guardian is a Defender/Warrior because his primary focus is to defend himself and others, but he also has a weak attack in the form of his "spear" ability.
The Sorceress, on the other hand, could be classified as either a Mage/Utility (line-of-sight ability allows her to move characters) or a Mage/Aethereal (shadow walk allows her to pass through hedges).
2) Design the abilities: each character must have a basic and advanced side.
- a) Basic Characters start with 4 AP and 2 abilities (1 basic and 1 strawberry)
- b) Advanced Characters start with 3 AP and gain 1 AP once they get a strawberry. They start with 2 basic abilities and 1 strawberry ability.
3) Be creative, ask for help, and have fun!
Get inspired by your favorite abilities, characters, mechanics, themes. Creating a character has been one of the best parts of Imperial Harvest, and we’d be happy to answer questions, offer suggestions, and lend support to our amazing backers!